|“||Before I die, I will bequeath to one of you villains my vast empire and extensive power which I have spent 1,000 years building.||”|
— Queen Entozoa
An alien queen is hosting a fancy dinner party where she will bestow her power to one of the attendees. Lord Hater and Wander compete over her attention, with Wander's activities turning out fun and Lord Hater's not so good, but little do they know the queen is hiding a dark secret.
A group of villains, including Lord Hater, Commander Peepers, and Emperor Awesome, are at the castle of an old alien queen. The queen informs her company that she is dying and before she does, she'll leave everything she built over the last thousand years to the villain who will prove himself worthy. One villain tries flattery on her, but she deems it desperate and sends him away.
As soon as Peepers assures Lord Hater there is no one standing in his way, Wander and Sylvia arrive. Wander takes a seat next to the queen and thanks her for inviting Sylvia and himself to the dinner party she's hosting and reveals the queen lady as Queen Entozoa, while Sylvia begins to introduce the other villains to her fists but is sidetracked by the finger sandwiches the Beefeaters are serving. A confused Lord Hater states Wander can't come because he is a well-known do-gooder. Entozoa informs him that she invited Wander since he is the most wanted fugitive in the galaxy, and Hater becomes aggravated because he himself placed the bounty on Wander. Just as he was about to attack Wander, Peepers escorts him to the bathroom.
In the bathroom, Peepers tells Lord Hater he can't destroy or attack someone at a dinner party because it's rude, to which Lord Hater replies Wander doesn't even want her power. After they are intimidated by a mysterious cube creature who was using the toilet, Peepers pampers Lord Hater and states he'll take care of Wander while he acts like a proper gentleman.
Back in the ballroom, Wander is impressed with the setup as Lord Hater returns. He starts talking about the place, which displeases Entozoa as the meals come out. The guests are each served a fruit tart, and while Lord Hater properly eats his, Wander can't decide which fork to use and decides to use his hands instead. This shocks everyone else, but excites Entozoa. Hater prepares to destroy him but Peepers stops him and takes over, only to be apprehended by Sylvia's tail while she is still enjoying the sandwiches. At the same time, Emperor Awesome flirts with Sylvia and shows her his calves, but she brushes him off.
Entozoa is anguished by the chattering of the Kremlons and asks someone else to talk. Lord Hater proceeds to tell an impromptu tale about visiting a planet waiting to be blown up, but is interrupted by Wander repeatedly asking "Why?", causing him to constantly add a new detail each time. When he angrily finishes it with the fact that he didn't want to date a girl because her hair is purple and he hates that color, Wander gets everyone laughing by putting a spoon on his face. Entozoa then announces it's time for dancing but Wander states before he hits the dance floor, he has to use the bathroom.
Peepers is treating himself to his injuries in the bathroom when he sees Wander enter, and he carries out his plan by welding the door shut. He informs Lord Hater that Wander is taken care of and this is the moment they're waiting for.
On the dance floor, Lord Hater and a disgruntled Entozoa waltz with each other while Lord Hater sings a heartfelt song. Entozoa gradually starts to approve of his ways, just as Wander enters, having escaped the bathroom through brute force. He gives the band different instruments to play, thus changing the music as he does his own dance with Entozoa. Sylvia then takes care of Peepers by making him stare at the Black Cube from earlier, causing Peepers to lose his soul. Lord Hater takes over the dancing but obliviously harms Entozoa in return, finishing with a kiss. Angrily, Entozoa declares the party is over and has made her choice, and the guards take Lord Hater away while the other villains leave.
Just as Entozoa was about to give Wander her power, Lord Hater bursts back in, discarding his proper gentleman ways and reverting to his usual self. He forces Entozoa to give him her power, and she is impressed, only to reveal she will be inhabiting his body. Her mouth opens very wide, and a spirit comes out and reveals it took over the queen's body for a thousand years and will do the same to Lord Hater for the next millennium. It proceeds to do so, but Wander saves him with a Heimlich maneuver and transfers the spirit to one of the sandwiches Sylvia is eating, prompting her to leave. After realizing what happened, the sandwich orders the guards to destroy the remaining visitors.
Wander, Sylvia, Lord Hater and Peepers (still weak from the Black Cube as Lord Hater is carrying him) escape the attack, and the sandwich calls out after them that it'll find them someday and they'll pay for what happened. Emperor Awesome is nonetheless impressed that the spirit is a sandwich now, but is electrocuted and flung away. The episode ends as the sandwich screams "Evil sandwich!"
For a full transcript of The Fancy Party, click here.
- "Let's Get Awesome"
- "Commander Peepers' Theme"
- "Hater and the Queen"
- "Little Black Cube of Darkness" (animatic only)
When the evil sandwich ordered his servants to destroyed Hater and Wander, Hater picked up the unconscious Peepers as Wander ride off with Slyvia. The other party guests fleeing the evil sandwich while getting into their ships and The Black Cube tried to start his car.
|The image gallery for The Fancy Party may be viewed here.|
Emperor Awesome: Better call the farmer, 'cause these calves are ready for market.
♪ Let's get awesome ♪
Lord Hater: So, the other day, I'm flying through space, and there's this planet that's just begging to get blown up.
Emperor Awesome: So, you're a sandwich, now? I'm totally into that. (gets zapped and thrown away)
Sandwich: EVIL SANDWICH!!!
- In the German version, this dub's title is not an exact translation of the English title; this episode is called "Das böse Sandwich" (The nasty sandwich), which spoils the ending where the evil spirit is imprisoned in a sandwich.
- Running gags: Entozoa approving of Wander's activities and disapproving of Lord Hater's, Sylvia constantly helping herself to the finger sandwiches, Wander asking "Why?" during Lord Hater's impromptu tale, Peepers is about to fire his blaster but is stopped by Sylvia.
- The title refers to the party Entozoa is holding in this episode.
- The black cube speaking Latin has a soundtrack, according to ASCAP #887174253.
- In the scene where Wander bursts through the door still holding the bathroom door, the crash sound effect from Thomas and Friends can be heard.
- This is the first time Lord Hater sings.
- Emperor Awesome is shown to have a crush on Sylvia.
- It is revealed that Lord Hater does not like the color purple. This is ironic, since when in Lord Hater's ship, the lighting makes anything black appear purple.
- This is one of few episodes where Wander and Sylvia have little interaction with each other. Sylvia also has very little dialogue in this episode, only having speaking roles in three scenes.
- It is revealed that Wander knows the Heimlich Maneuver (he uses it to exorcise the spirit out of Lord Hater).
- This is the first time Lord Hater actually tries to kill Wander.
- It is shown in this episode that Emperor Awesome is a villain, though he doesn't seem to act like one. But later, in "The Party Animal", he acts much more antagonistic.
- This is Emperor Awesome's second appearance since "The Picnic".
- "Let's Get Awesome" from "The Picnic" is heard again, and is later parodied in this episode as "Not so awesome".
- This is the first time Emperor Awesome is seen without the Fist Fighters present.
- Entozoa mentions Wander is the most wanted fugitive in the galaxy ("The Fugitives").
- While Peepers is under the table preparing to blast Wander, he is in his regular clothes, but in the next shot he is wearing is formal wear again.
- When Emperor Awesome shows Sylvia his calves, he has his right leg on the table. In the next shot, his left leg is on the table.
- While Emperor Awesome is flirting with Sylvia, the background singer says "Let's get awesome" but the captions say "Captain Awesome".
- When Wander and Sylvia flee from the evil sandwich, Sylvia's pearl necklace is gone for the rest of the episode.
- According to composer Andy Bean, who voices the Black Cube, while it is speaking Latin, the closed captioning is way off.
- Wander's bowtie is missing when Peepers sees him entering a bathroom stall in the mirror, and again when Lord Hater blasts him out of the way.
- When the camera zooms out to show Lord Hater and Entozoa dancing, Emperor Awesome can be seen smiling in the background. Later when we see another long shot, Emperor Awesome is standing in the same spot, but he is now frowning.
- Wander takes out five instruments from his hat, but there are only four guards in the band. When the camera shows the instruments being taken though, five arms are seen grabbing them. Then when the camera cuts to the band, there are still only four performers.
- Lord Hater is shown cutting his tart, yet when Wander swallows his whole, Lord Hater's tart is still full and uneaten.
- When Wander starts dancing with Entozoa, the attendees in the background have mysteriously disappeared.
- The instruments Wander brings are a trumpet, an upright bass, a banjo, a trombone, and a saxophone. Yet when the camera shows the guards playing them, only the trombone, upright bass, saxophone and banjo are used. However, a trumpet can still be heard playing in the background.
- Some airings of the episode on Disney XD use an early version of the title in the credits that use the regular bubble font.
- Beauty and the Beast - The song Hater sings is a parody of the title song from this 1991 Disney film.
- Sleeping Beauty - The spirit bears a close resemblance to Maleficent's dragon form.
- A few images in this episode were used in a promo for Disney XD's Animacation and a "Later Hater" promo for the show. A short preview was seen in a Summer Preview short during Disney XD's All Weekend Long XD-Athon.
- This episode was revealed on MSN TV listings.
- Like "The Nice Guy" and "The Time Bomb", this was the third episode that aired on Disney XD Latin America and Brazil first before the United States.
- A shorter version of the Wander Over Yonder Main Title debuted with this episode.
- On Watch Disney XD, the full theme is shown.
- This is the second episode to feature musical contribution from The California Feetwarmers after "The Birthday Boy". They play Wander's dance music.
- The black cube's Latin gibberish was provided by Andy Bean.
- Strangely, starting in early 2015 reruns, the title for the episode in the credits is in a regular bubble font instead of the cursive one used in the title card.
- In the Latin American dub, when Awesome shows Sylvia his calves, Sylvia says she hates fish.
- June 13, 2014 (Disney XD Brazil and Latin America)
- July 19, 2014 (Disney XD Poland)
- August 9th, 2014 (Disney XD Germany)
- September 21, 2014 (Disney Channel Japan)
- October 17th, 2014 (Disney Channel Asia)
- Jack McBrayer as Wander
- April Winchell as Sylvia
- Keith Ferguson as Lord Hater
- Rich Fulcher as Queen Entozoa/Sandwich, Worm
- Tom Kenny as Peepers
- Edie McClurg as Trudi Traveler ♦
- Sam Riegel as Emperor Awesome
- Fred Tatasciore as Bull, Additional Voices
- Andy Bean as the Black Cube (uncredited)
- ♦ designates a character that did not appear in this episode
"The Epic Quest of Unfathomable Difficulty!!!"